Blueprint Bread Roll Recipe!
Continuing our bread theme we look at a blueprint bread roll recipe which your student can modify. You might want to think about incorporating fruit, veg and herbs; or different finishing techniques. You could even enrich the dough with eggs and add filling such as (feta cheese) to make savoury doughnuts (baked not fried).
What you do:
Vary the toppings on the rolls, but be aware of allergies students may have. You can also add herbs to the bread dough. You may need to add a little more liquid, if you use wholemeal flour.
Lois tackled this enriched dough on Great British Bake Off – now’s your chance to try it with your kids.
* 100ml milk
* 45g sugar
* 50g butter
* 15ml spoon instant yeast
* 200g strong plain flour
* 2.5ml spoon salt
* 2 eggs
* 2 x 15ml vegetable oil
Candied fruits are traditionally used for decoration to symbolise jewels in the crown. Don’t forget to put the shaped ring onto a baking tray before you decorate it as it can be difficult to move afterwards.
What you do:
1. Preheat the oven at 190°C or Gas mark 5. Grease a baking tray.
2. Place the milk, sugar and butter in a small saucepan. Over a gentle heat combine the ingredients and heat until slightly warm to the touch and the butter has melted.
3. Lightly beat the eggs and oil together. Stir into the milky mixture.
4. Place the flour, yeast and salt in a mixing bowl.
5. Add the liquid to the flour and mix well until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
6. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
7. Return the dough to a greased mixing bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size; about an hour.
8. Gently knock back the dough and shape as required. Divide into 12 equal pieces for rolls or shape into a ring.
9. Place on a greased tray and decorate then leave to rise for 20-25 minutes until doubled in size.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
11. Cool on a cooling rack.
So… get baking with kids, take your pics and send them in to firstname.lastname@example.org