- Unsalted butter for greasing
- 20g caster sugar, plus an extra 2 tbsp to coat the ramekin
- 100ml ready-made custard (tinned or carton)
- 75ml tinned mango purée
- 3 ripe passion fruit
- 4 large egg whites
- Icing sugar, sifted, for dusting
Cheat's Mango & Passion Fruit Souffles
Bake 12 – 15 minutes
The beauty of this recipe is that it uses some store-cupboard ingredients to create a restaurant-looking dessert. The shortcut is to use ready-made custard, which works beautifully as the base for a sweet soufflé, along with tinned mango purée and ripe passion fruit.
1. Heat your oven 200°C/Gas 6 and butter four ramekins. Put ½ tbsp caster sugar in each ramekin and rotate the dish so the sugar coats the base and the sides evenly. Tap out any excess.
2. Tip the custard and mango purée into a bowl. Cut the passion fruit in half, then scoop out the seeds and juice into the bowl. Mix with the custard and mango purée until evenly combined.
3. Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff. Gradually add the 20g sugar, a spoonful at a time, whisking well between each addition, to make a smooth, glossy meringue. Gradually fold the meringue into the passion fruit and mango custard, using a large metal spoon or spatula, until it is all incorporated.
4. Divide the mixture between the prepared ramekins. Use a palette knife to gently smooth and level the surface of each soufflé, then run your finger around the edge to lift the mixture away from the side slightly (this helps it to rise evenly).
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the soufflés are risen. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.
Like this? Paul thinks you’ll LOVE this too...
This takes the classic bread and butter pud idea and raises it to new heights.Read more...